Author Topic: Songs that are ahead of their time and/or sound like it's from another era  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Cat "Catwoman" (1989)

It has a bit of an early '90's vibe, IMHO

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Aside from the brief rap. Kylie Minogue "Step Back in Time" is a throwback to the disco '70's.

It appears that disco, at least in the early '90's, wasn't as frowned upon in the UK where the US wouldn't wax nostalgia on it until the late 1990's.

There was even a disco tribute in the video for "Never Too Late" (1989), which featured Kylie in various eras in the 20th century.

Though the fad faded around 1980/1981, Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" (1983) sounds like something that wouldn't be out of place in his "Off The Wall" album.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Re: Songs that are ahead of their time and/or sound like it's from another era
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
The Donnas  "Don't Wait Up For Me" from their 2007 album "Bitchin", basically an ode to the 1970's and '80's  8)

I actually wasn't aware of the album until listening to some songs from the band on YouTube.

"Here For The Party"

"Smoke You Out"

"Better Off Dancing"

"Save Me"

The Donnas is  known for "Take It Off" (2002), "Fall Behind Me" (2004), and various appearances on tv/film soundtracks ("Detroit Rock City", "Mean Girls").