Author Topic: Worst Cartoons of All Time (1930's to the present)  (Read 142221 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Worst Cartoons of All Time (1930's to the present)
« on: February 06, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »
Some you agree, disagree, or cartoons you dislike that wasn't ranked...

From theatrical shorts, Saturday morning cartoons, and prime time animated series.

50. Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon
49. Inuyasha
48. Kim Possible
47. Captain Caveman
46. King of the Hill
45. Sniffles the Mouse
44. Proud Family
43. Metalocolypse
42. Yo! Yogi
41. Mucha Lucha
40. The Brothers Grunt
39. Foofur
38. The Replacements
37. It's Punky Brewster
36. The Littles
35. Dave the Barbarian
34. Quack Pack
33. Baby Looney Tunes
32. Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm ('70's cartoon series)
31. Catdog
30. Herman & Katnip
29. Mel O Toons
28. Wish Kid
27. Rocket Power
26. Squidbillies
25. American Dad
24. Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics
23. My Gym Partner Is A Monkey
22. Baby Huey
21. Poke'mon
20. Stripperella
19. 3 South
18. My Little Pony
17. Little Audrey
16. Captain Planet
15. The Brady Kids
14. Rugrats: All Grown Up
13. Camp Candy
12. My Life as a Teenage Robot
11. The Gary Coleman Show

10. 12 oz Mouse

...among the worst from Adult Swim, more inane than "Squidbillies" and features far worse animation than "Tom Goes To The Mayor".

9. Kid Notorious

Comedy Central flop about the adventures of a big shot Hollywood mogul featuring overdone Hollywood satire and bad jokes

8. Loonatics Unleashed

... a completely butchered version of classic Looney Tunes characters like Bugs & Daffy made into cheesy futuristic super heroes.

7. Care Bears
... too sickening and cloying

6. Fatherhood
... an animated version of "The Cosby Show" based on Cosby's books of the same name that aired on Nick at Nite. Also much blander than the popular '80's sitcom.

5. Tom & Jerry (Not the popular cat & mouse!)

Some years  ago, I bought a cheap public domain DVD that featured an obscure cartoon duo called "Tom & Jerry" out of curiosity, but turned out to be extremely bland and unfunny.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy several cartoons from the 1930's like Looney Tunes (mostly Porky & Daffy), Disney, and a few Betty Boop & Popeye shorts, but "Tom & Jerry" just wan't anything special, which was probably the reason they're long forgotten. Only animation historians would enjoy these cartoons.

4. SpongeBob SquarePants

...one of the most overhyped cartoon of recent times

3. Casper the Friendly Ghost

... Far too bland and corny. Would've been better if it's about a ghost that wants to scare people, but couldn't even scare a young child. Then again, it wouldn't be funny since Harvey Toons (Baby Huey, Little Audrey) are really bad.

2. Hammerman/New Kids on the Block (tie)

...two awful cartoons based on a manufactured prototypical boy band and an overexposed rapper, which were everywhere during the peak of their fame when the cartoons were introduced. Besides from bad animation and corny storylines, they shouldn't have been made into a cartoon in the first place. I like a few songs from MC Hammer, but best to leave the cartoon forgotten.

1. Scrappy Doo (Of '80's "Scooby Doo" cartoons)

Though I never liked "Scooby Doo", but the introduction of the annoying Scrappy Doo made it worse.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:40:23 PM by Woops »

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
Re: Worst Cartoons of All Time (1930's to the present)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:00:20 AM »
I don't know what happened with that "Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon" but it was just terrible.  It wasn't anywhere as good as the regular "Ren & Stimpy."

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »
Though not the worst, but I find Popeye cartoons overrated. Animation buffs kiss up on the '30's Flieschers shorts, but I'm indifferent towards the series and only like a very  few cartoons like "Popeye the Sailor meets Sinbad the Sailor". Most I've seen aren't that funny or interesting.

Plus, don't know what Popeye & Bluto sees in Olive Oil.  ::)

Offline PaSquall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:27 AM »
Hey, she's the ONLY girl in town  ;D

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »
The "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" movie was pretty much dumb and better off as a regular episode. Not to mention that Tina Fey's in the movie as a talking burrito.  :o Only a few parts were funny like the "Let's Go To The Lobby" parody in the beginning and when Master Shake sings to the robot that ends up smashing itself.

The show is sometimes funny, though in the most part tries to hard or gets too weird. Much better than the awful "Squidbillies".

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
"Speed Racer: Next Generation", OK Chim Chim as a robot. Wouldn't be suprised if the Mach 5's a hybrid.  ::)

Though indifferent towards the original cartoon, the new one appears to be a cash in to the upcoming movie.

"Mighty B"... The animation style appears if they're trying to be like "Ren & Stimpy" or  cartoons from the early 20th century, though the characters are annoying and only a few laughs. Though I'm way over the demographic and seen many of the plots done (better) before on "The Simpsons" and even Popeye.

One episode is about camping which features a  twisted ending with  the snobby Paris Hilton-like kid turning to dust and getting eaten by deer & rabbits. Wonder if the writers were on something?

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:56:49 PM »
Wouldn't be suprised if the Mach 5's a hybrid.  ::)

The one in the movie sure isn't.  :)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:35:02 AM »
More on Amy Poehler's "The Mighty B!":

The robot episode... actually quite good and a bit ironic since Bessie (the main character) looks a bit like Dexter from the '90's cartoon "Dexter's Laboratory" (though different creator/production company). It's basically staets off with Bessie's experiments getting rejected (ie atom smasher) and ending up building a robot that ends up getting controlled by stereotypical snob Portia.

The band episode... Bessie wants to join a band. Includes referances to The Ramones, Velvet Underground, and Phil Collins, which would go over the heads of the main demographic. Could've been better and appeared rushed for 10 minutes.

Also Bill Wray (not the country singer) does the background animation on the cartoon, which he also worked on "Ren & Stimpy" 17 years ago. Might explain the background, close-ups, and some of the animation. Though unlike "Ren & Stimpy", it's rather mediocre.

"Family Guy"... mildly funny with Peter becoming a pirate, but some jokes were too mean spirited and tries too hard to be funny. Turns out to be season finale of the horrid fifth season.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:49:11 AM »
Here's an interview of Amy Poehler from  TV Guide...

"SpongeBob"  :o ... Looney Tunes were originally intended for adults and "Ren & Stimpy"  also appealed to a wide age range (also spawned many imitators).  Well, the "SNL" member did compared the character of Bessie to Daffy Duck and late original "SNL" member Gilda Radner.

Ironically, a few episodes had a few break dancing... though Poehler actually created the cartoon and voices the main character. Not the first time a comedian have done that since Bill Cosby did  "Fat Albert" and Louie Anderson did "Life With Louie".

SNL's Amy Poehler Is Singing a Different 'Toon
by John Sellers

In addition to her gig on SNL, Amy Poehler serves up laughs in the new cartoon The Mighty B! (premieres April 26 at 10:30 am/ET, Nickelodeon) and in the not-so G-rated Baby Mama. We caught up with the funnywoman to talk about her new projects, how much fun she has mimicking Hillary and what it was like reteaming with 30 Rock's Tina Fey.

TV Guide: In your new animated series, The Mighty B!, you voice Bessie Higgenbottom, a hyper Brownie who dreams of becoming a superhero. Were you that hyper as a kid?

Amy Poehler: She's like Animal meets Gilda Radner meets Daffy Duck meets Jimmy Stewart: energetically optimistic. And I was not too far off from that. I was a "Look at me!" kind of kid. I had really patient parents who were used to me jumping around. And I was pretty bossy, too. I organized a lot of dance contests in my neighborhood, of which I was always the judge.

TV Guide: Were they break-dancing contests?

Poehler: If only! Unfortunately in my suburban basement, it was just a lot of dancing to Michael Jackson records and K-Tel records. I would be the judge, but I would win every time. You gotta go where the talent is!

TV Guide: What cartoons did you watch growing up?

Poehler: I was never a huge Saturday-morning cartoon fan. I was the kind of kid that slept in. I'd stay up really late and build forts and do crazy things and then sleep in. I was the kind of kid you had to wake up on Christmas morning. But I used to love the trippier cartoons that we were lucky enough to have in the '70s, like H.R. Pufnstuf, though I don't even know if you'd technically consider them cartoons.

TV Guide: Are you trying to appeal to adults with the show, too?

Poehler: Yeah. What I love about SpongeBob SquarePants is that it's very watchable for an adult. But kids like it because they don't feel like they're being pandered to. That was what we were looking to do with The Mighty B! Plus, we wanted to do a show that had a strong female character who didn't have too many rainbows and unicorns.

TV Guide: What? You didn't want this to be another Strawberry Shortcake?

Poehler: This is more like "Strawberry Shortfuse."

TV Guide: Bessie is being raised by a single mom and no mention is ever made of her father. What sinister thing happened to him?

Poehler: Tune in to Episode 14! It's a very dark episode. It's all done in Lost-style flashbacks. Or maybe it's like Omar getting killed on The Wire!

TV Guide: Is your husband, Will Arnett, going to pop up in a guest role?

Poehler: I hope so. Will is a voice genius. I learned a lot from him. It's a skill to be in that booth and to figure out how not only not blow your voice out, but also how to make things come alive.

TV Guide: How is it different from performing in front of a studio audience like you do on Saturday Night Live?

Poehler: I like it because you don't have to take a shower. But it is kind of weird. By the time I leave the studio, the room is just filled with spit. I have to hose it down.

TV Guide: Speaking of SNL, do you hope Hillary Clinton wins the nomination so you can keep doing your impression?

Poehler: Even when the Clintons aren't in office, they're still in politics. Actually, I wanted Dennis Kucinich to win because he was much more fun. He's officially done, but I'd love for him to somehow come out of the ashes. I loved putting on those fake ears and that teeny-tiny suit.

TV Guide: You costar with your old SNL pal Tina Fey in the big-screen comedy Baby Mama. Do things get crazy when you two hang out?
Poehler: Yeah. Every night after filming, we'd go to a rave. We'd go to these clubs — I can't even tell you the names of them because if I tell you, they'll shut down. But they're super, super V.V.V.I.P. clubs in the backs of crazy, old, abandoned warehouses. And we'd drink these liquid-gold cocktails. It was amazing. Just like you'd picture.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:57:52 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 02:42:03 AM »
"The Mighty B!" is OK

I'm suprised that the musuem episode was able to get pass the censors.

It's about Bessie & Penny going inside of a giant replica of a human body. Done in "The Simpsons" (Not a hardcore fan of the show, but seen the episode), but the ending... all I can say that it's not for the easily discusted. The episode was funny and the ending a bit of a shock, though a bit obivious.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:29:46 AM by Woops »

Offline Dariusz

• Administrator
  • Head Honcho
    • View Profile
    • Deb-Ski.com
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »
Thankfully a lot of those in the list have not made it here to be shown, but I'd like to add "Batfink" and "Transformers" to the list of worst cartoons.
Deb-Ski forum admin

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:15 AM »
Out of boredom, I flipped channels to the "The Little Mermaid" tv series and noticed something peculiar, which the characters were playing "Sponge Ball".

What I found odd was that the  sea sponge was yellow, had a goofy face, and an annoying laugh.

Don't know if that was featured in the movie, but it might've inspired some cartoonist to create one of the most annoying & overexposed cartoon characters ever...  ::)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
"Total Drama Island", pretty much the equilivalent of the majority of reality shows and could've been a better version of "Drawn Together" if they included parodies of cartoon characters rather than the typical bickering young adults seen on "The Real World".

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »
Most of the cartoons on Cartoon Network aren't very good.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 05:58:44 AM »
For some reason, "Chowder" is kissed upon by the Toon Zone (an animation forum with 'toon buffs) crowd. Despite of it being surreal, it lacks humor. Same for "Superjail", though kinda reminds me of some expiramental film on "Liquid Television".