Author Topic: Worst Cartoons of All Time (1930's to the present)  (Read 135123 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Re: Worst Cartoons of All Time (1930's to the present)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »
Toon Zone review of "Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1970's Vol. 1"

Though I disagree on the comment about Josie & The Pussycats since I find it quite entertaining and despite that Alan (also Josie I have to admit) were bland, many of the characters were enjoyable like Melody, Val, and Alexandra. Not to forget the catchy theme song. I'll admit that it's more watchable than "Scooby Doo". Yes, I know they appeared on an episode of "New Scooby Doo Movies".

(Also aware that the comics, which came before the cartoon, were far different from the show.)

Also disagree on "Yogi's Gang" (which the reviewer stated that the show was good)  since it was preachy and the characters aren't funny. Not sure about the show (though seen bits of "Yogi's Ark Lark", which was a pilot for the series that airs on Boomerang time to time), but on specials like "Yogi's First Christmas" & "Yogi and the Spruce Goose"  they even sang corny songs.

The later 1950's/early '60's cartoons (ie Auggie Doggie, Quickdraw McGraw, Huckleberry Hound) are far more entertaining. (Though weren't great...though far from the worse, but I actually liked watching some on Boomerang for the camp value, sound effects, and voice-overs)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:40:34 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 11:28:45 PM »
I find it ironic that many disliked the '80's incarnation of "Alvin & The Chipmunks" at the Golden Age Cartoons forum since I was pretty much weirded out when I first saw "The Alvin Show" in the mid 1990's. Though haven't seen both for ages and didn't bothered watching the movie.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 01:03:28 AM »
"DJ & The Fro"

Pretty much two slackers from some generic work setting (ie cubicles) that watch random internet videos and making comments (much like "Beavis & Butt-Head" with music videos)

...while Viacom and others takes down good stuff from YouTube  ::)

"Aeon Flux"... for some reason, I watched it when I was younger, though now find it too confusing and too weird for my taste. (for some reason reminds me of anime)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 02:52:37 AM »
Honestly, I was never big on Daria as a spinoff.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »
Reminds me of the George Clooney "Speed Racer" parody from "TV Funhouse" ("SNL" animated bits from Robert Smigel), though don't think it'll work as a show...

source
MTV's Splash Page weblog notes that MTV will be developing an animated series called The Awesomes with former Saturday Night Live head writer Seth Meyers and his fellow SNL-alum Mike Shoemaker. The series will follow "an unassuming superhero and his cohorts as they battle evil villains, the paparazzi, and a less than desirable reputation as bumbling losers." The series has no scheduled air date at this time

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »
Watched an episode of the '80's revival of "The Jetsons" that's based off (or ripped-off) "Baby Buggy Bunny" (Bugs Bunny vs. Baby-Face Finster) cartoon... really unfunny and too politically correct (c'mon it's a criminal in disguised as a baby...plus it's a cartoon).

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

New Looney Tunes show in the works?

A new Looney Tunes series... Why not just air the originals that many people, including myself, have watched over the years?

Though haven't been on television for several years (besides the 2009 New Years marathon) and not to mention the horrid "Baby Looney Tunes" & "Loonatics: Unleashed"...

I haven't been over to the Warners Ranch in ever so long, and this week I paid a visit to the animation studio housed in a three-story building and a gargantuan trailer. (Which is actually a bunch of interconnected big trailers that -- hooked together -- grow to the Big Family Size.) ...

The last couple of years, WBA has been a sleepy place to walk through, what with lots of empty cubicles and offices. But the emptiness was a by-product of not much work going on. The place had a super-hero series, a video project or two, and that was it.

That isn't the case now. The studio is currently hopping with three television series and seven direct-to-video projects in various stages of production.

There is Scooby Doo (now in its what? 73rd incarnation?). There is a new season of Batman. And there is the reboot of the Looney Tunes franchise with Laff Riot. As one of the Riot artists related:

"This show's going to give us over a year's worth of work. I've been freelancing for a while and it's good to be on staff again, gives me a chance to rebuild my investment losses.

"And if the show's good, maybe it'll be more than a year. The notes we got back on our first boards focused on weaker areas and were right to the point. That's encouraging. It's nice to get notes that make sense ..."[/
i]

The word circulating around WBA is: "Hooray! Warners Animation is back from its deep sleep and going again!" and "We're glad to be working!"

That working thing. I hear a lot of that these days.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:04 AM »
Though I'd check it out for curiosity, I don't think it'll be good... or probably OK depending on the writers, the animation (no flash or CGI), and voice-overs.

A bit of a contradiction since I've been collecting the comics, but I've only bought the issues from the early 2000's since they had good artwork and creative stories.

Some rules I found on some thread at Golden Age Cartoons forum that has some good points

Better... just leave them alone

"Duck Dodgers" and "Tiny Toons Adventures" were OK (sometimes good), though haven't seen "Taz-Mania" & "Animaniacs" (though not based on classic characters, but influenced/had references) for ages and vaguely remember "Tweety & Sylvester Mysteries".
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:35:07 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
Watched parts of the "SpongeBob" documentry on VH1 out of curiosity...

Still find that character highly annoying  and still don't understand the popularity of the show...

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »
You will just love this then, I saw on the news this morning that he's going to ring the closing bell at the NYSE today.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 04:58:51 AM »
Watched full documentry:

1. "Ren & Stimpy" also used squash & stretch animation (about 8 years before SpongeBob) and weirdness doesn't always equal funny.

2. A bit ironic that Stephen Hillenburg directed episodes of "Rocko's Modern Life", which I actually liked and still find several episodes I have on tape (ie "Suck-o-Matic", the laundry episode) funny.

...my opinion is still pretty much the same

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:01:05 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 02:29:42 AM »
Watched several Popeye cartoons and found them boring with only a very few laughs...

Granted that the 3-Desque background looks great, but pretty much bland.

Though I actually like "Popeye Meets Sinbad", which is probably the only cartoon I can tolerate from the series.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 03:26:03 AM »
"Drawn Together" to be given a DVD movie

Honestly, the show had potential with different characters from different types of animation/genres interacting, but fell flat with too much shock humor and tried too hard to be funny. Though some episodes were OK.

Since one of the creators did the now canned "DJ and the Fro" (which was unfunny from the get go), I wonder if they'll make a cameo... ::)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »
Perhaps the worst Bugs Bunny cartoon

Really boring and Bugs appears out of character since he's doesn't appear to be in his witty self...

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
A few of the episodes of "Robot Chicken" I've seen have been horrible.

Granted that the show's very hit or miss since they tend to try too hard to be funny with shock humor and parodies that have been done better.