Author Topic: VH1 Classic to become MTV Classic on August 1  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
VH1 Classic to become MTV Classic on August 1
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:24:54 AM »
Like VH1 Classic in the UK few years ago, VH1 Classic in the US will rebrand into MTV Classic. I knew a change was coming considering the Facebook hardly updates and the sudden cancellation of "That Metal Show", though not sure what would replace it or would be on autopilot until it completely fade to oblivion.

VH1 Classic Becomes MTV Classic from YouTube

Starting August 1st, VH1 Classic is becoming MTV Classic. Tune in to see all your favorites, Beavis + Butthead, Daria, Pimp My Ride, Punk’d, Jackass, MTV Unplugged and more!

Too much focus on music from the '90's/early 2000's with images of few '80's artists such as Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper, with constant footage of their "classic" reality shows and cartoons.The promo looks like MTV circa 1996.  Guessing like other Viacom channels it will air random movies, sitcoms.

On TV Guide and Zap2it  listings, the first hour will air along  with 5 hours of music videos and a marathon of "Unplugged" on August 1.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:41:12 AM by Woops »

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
Re: VH1 Classic to become MTV Classic on August 1
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 11:04:54 PM »
It really doesn't surprise me.  I don't watch it or even know what channel it comes on.  If you had told me back when I was 18 that by the time I was 22 I would feel alienated by MTV I wouldn't have believed it.  If you ask me nothing jumped the shark more than MTV and later VH-1 did.  If my cable company dropped both channels completely I wouldn't even notice.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »
On Tuesday August 2, two episodes of "Behind the Music" and "Ghostbusters" is listed with several "To Be Announced."

Assuming recent VH1 specials on "TRL" and "Yo! MTV Raps", reality shows, and various programs such as MTV cartoons and sitcoms.

MTV Classic in the UK has a good balance of music and non-music programs, though from what I've heard mainly focus on the 1990's/2000's with only a few token '80's videos on the flashback hour and "Greatest" countdowns.

Fuse TV, which I looked as an example if a certain channel had still been around, is 95 % non music programming with music only played during the late night/morning hours.

I don't get VH1 Classic anymore, though doesn't look I'm missing much. Thanks to YouTube and DVDs.  8)

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:42:39 PM »
I've got Time Warner Cable, soon to become Spectrum Cable, and I think it's still on their line up.  Not that it matters to me if it's there or not because I don't ever watch it.  I wonder about the future of the network itself.  I figure sooner or later Viacom will totally revamp them with a name change and all that stuff.  I haven't thought about checking their ratings but I really doubt they are good.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:48 AM »
Music video blocks, which airs around night up to to around noon. More likely will be cut as time goes by...  ::)

"Classic Videos", general block that airs for a few hours while most genre specific block is given to about an hour or two
"I Want My '80's"
"90's Nation"... VH1 Classic recently added "90's Rocked" about three years ago  
"Total Request Playlist", more likely late 90s/2000s music
"Yo! MTV Mix"
"Headbangers"
"House of Pop"
"Rock Block.. noticed several years ago VH1 Classic threw in a lot of '90's alt rock into their "Classic Rock Fest" block

What I find ironic about VH1 Classic, is that from 2007 up to it's upcoming rebrand, mainly focused on AOR and hard rock/metal, which AOR was MTV's original format during it's first few years. And that VH1 Classic had more variety from thr 1960's to the early 1990's.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »
I remember that back around 1980 to about 1983 AOR kind of dominated the radio.  I wasn't really into it so it's hard for me to remember bands and songs from that time.  Things really changed in late 1983 and especially by summer of 1984.  I guess that's when you could say that the big Pop revolution happened.  Its critics just called it recycled Disco but there was a difference.  I think that the Pop era really reached its peak from the summer of 1987 to the summer of 1988.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
It's been confirmed in various news sites that the network will mostly focus on the 1990's and 2000's...

Reactions are mixed, though most of the "nostalgia" and such are on the animated shows, which I think wouldn't be on the channel long. Not to mention mostly only lasted two or three seasons and many shows are on Netflix, Hulu, or DVD. Plus only the 2011 version of "Beavis & Butt-Head" appears on the schedule. Even when the original aired on MTV2 a decade ago, only a select few episodes were shown.  

I'd be baffled if there's anybody that waxes nostalgia without sarcasm on "The Real World" or "The Hills."  ::)

Also most millennials don't watch much, or even own, tv and ironically stream online.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:15:35 AM by Woops »

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 11:36:27 PM »
None of it surprises me.  MTV seems to ignore music or pretty much anything else before the year 2000.  I've gone into my ideas about how MTV went into decline so I don't need to rehash them but I wonder if it was caused by a generational rift or just simply a case of new people coming in with no sense of cultural or music history and had no desire to learn about it.  I was born in 1970 so that makes me from the early half of Generation X so there's a lot about the Millennials that either I don't understand or I think is convoluted.  My great grandparents were the WW I generation, my grandparents were WW II, and my parents were the Vietnam generation.  Each generation is bashed by the previous one.  My grandparents generation was criticized by their parents generation for being lazy and unmotivated.  Now they are considered to be the Greatest Generation.  They criticized my parents generation for the same things and for being unAmerican for protesting the Vietnam War.  Then my parents generation criticized my generation for our lack of social activism and for being the only generation in history that was more conservative than the previous generation was.  That's right, we took a turn to the right and for people that burned draft cards that was something they just couldn't figure out or accept.  Now we are doing that with the Millennials.  But, that taken into consideration, I'm still not sure that MTV appeals to them either.  It seems like it appeals only to a very small and narrow group that's way outside the mainstream. 

Let me put it all like this with MTV,

The first generation establishes it.
The second generation expands on it.
The third generation loses it completely.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:04:11 AM »
MTV Classic will air a day long marathon of the "Beavis & Butt-Head" Halloween special.

A good idea would be to combine clips from various Halloween MTV programming such as the "Freddy Krueger Hour", Elvira hosting, creepy bumpers etc. with a mix of classic videos, performances, etc. similar to the "MTV 30" special from 2011 or "Authentic Reproduction"  that aired on MTV in 1997.

Come to think of it, the MTV 30 programming was somewhat of a precursor to the rebrand since it mainly focused on the 1990's/2000's with only a tiny bit of '80's performances and constant clips of reality shows and other programs.

Rumor has it MTV Classic cancelled their metal block 'Metal Mayhem" (formerly "Headbangers"), which isn't on the official schedule, which goes until early November. Wouldn't be surprised if they did, but would put more fuel with the metalheads/hard rock fans that were alienated since the rebrand and cancellation of "That Metal Show." Or even further with the cancellation of "Headbangers Ball" on MTV in 1995 due to the network focusing more on alternative and rap.