3 (5.3%)
"Fallen Angel"
6 (10.5%)
"Play The Field"
4 (7%)
"Between The Lines"
7 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: 30 years since "Out Of The Blue" was released...  (Read 36099 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
30 years since "Out Of The Blue" was released...
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:20:55 PM »
August 18th will mark the 25th anniversary of Deb's debut album "Out of the Blue" and also the release of Aerosmith's comeback album "Permanent Vacation".  8)

(Well, according to Wiki's list of albums released in 1987 which may or may not be true... The main page of the album doesn't state anything, Rate Your Music states September, and a simple Google search stated August but without a specific date)

"Out Of The Blue" is one of the rare debut albums that could be heard from start to finish with upbeat, catchy pop songs. Including 5 Top 40 hits (4 in the Top 10) and her first #1 "Foolish Beat"...
All the songs were penned by Deb, who was in her mid teens when she released the album and several of the songs were written when she was younger  like her first hit "Only In My Dreams", which she wrote at 13, and "Foolish Beat", which she wrote at 14 with no (or very little) experience. Very rare in the music industry, even more so by today's standards. 

Her  singing voice sounded very  appealing and kinda sounds a bit like a throwback to female singers from the 1960's, IMHO. Her voice becomes more soothing over time...  The album cover is like a time capsule of the fashion of 1987 with the acid wash/ripped jeans, striped shirt, and hair. Far different than the Lolita pop acts of the past decade, which many lack talent  (ie lip sync) and are more into partying than their "music"... 

One of my favorite songs is "Red Hot", which would've been a hit if it had been released as a single. Though it was featured in the bad Whoopi Goldberg movie "Fatal Beauty". "Fallen Angel" also could be a potential hit. "Staying Together" is a fun song...though didn't chart the Top 10.

(random pic of Deb)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:23:07 PM by Woops »

Offline A Million Pieces

• View Profile
Re: "Out Of The Blue" album (1987)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:27:53 PM »
Out Of The Blue is an amazing album from start to finish.  Not a single song is a filler and for me, it still sounds amazing today as it did 20 years ago.  I cannot believe it has been over 20 years since OOTB was released!

Additionally, a few of the songs from the Electric Youth album were actually written before OOTB was released.  "Should've Been The One" actually had her dad as background vocals (at least I think it was Joe from what I have heard) in the demo and Deb sounds very young.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »
It's one of the best debut albums by anyone and maybe the best teen pop album of all time.  One of the best pop albums of all time, period.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
Deb also stood out from her peers and  female pop singers 5/10 years older at the time, which most didn't write/produce their own material.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »
Not that many did it then and now it seems like only one or two do it.  Songwriting has become a lost art.

Offline Sunny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:15:12 AM »
Is Foolish Beat the only song she was allowed to produce off of that album? I put in that album for the first time in forever the other night and actually forgot how much I enjoy those tunes. My poor hubbie (who thinks Deb is talented but he has heard more than he would ever wish too) was actually singing along before I called him out on it. He didn't even realize he was doing it! I thought that was hilarious!!!

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
She solo produced "Foolish Beat" and co-produced several of the others with Fred Zarr.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Don't know if true or not, but I read somewhere she originally wanted George Michael to produce "Foolish Beat".

Though ironically, the song kinda reminds me of "Careless Whisper" from Wham!.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:21:32 AM »
something random...

21 years ago, "Only In My Dreams" was at #12 this week on the American Top 40

Just heard it a few minutes ago...  8)

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 10:47:57 PM »
It had peaked at #3 in early September.

Offline FnlPrblm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Woot for this album and it's title track. :)

Dang I feel older now. Lol

Fallen Angel had strong lyrics to it.  Foolish Beat was awesome all around.  Out Of The Blue had a video which I think characterizes the early part of Deborah's career.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 02:45:42 PM by FnlPrblm »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 12:56:58 AM »
"Shake Your Love" was at #7 21 years ago during the last week of November... inbetween Whitney Houston's "So Emotional" & Whitesnake's "Is This Love"  :D

Offline artsiistra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
It's one of the best debut albums by anyone and maybe the best teen pop album of all time.  One of the best pop albums of all time, period.

Yeah, I can think of Paula Abdul's Straight Up and perhaps Janet Jackson's Control as among amazing pop debuts.  One can argue Janet did two albums prior to Control for A+M Records, but she has treated them like silly fluff pieces from a silly time in her life. She was a totally different person after leaving DeBarge(I think?) - she got "control" of her personal life.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
I've finally "destroyed" the album cover.

First I colored the clothes on the front cover and back. Added from pics, from the scrap book & cassettes and did some color changes. Covered her name and album title. Used markers to write "80's Pop Cutie" and "Sweet '80's Bubblegum Pop" (despite that I despise theterm 'bubblegum pop').

Results: Kind of tacky... (rather not show, though don't have the program)

note: I started a few months before the Ting Tings' video came about...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:06:25 PM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
"Shake Your Love" was at #5 21 years ago in the week of December 12th  :D 8)