Author Topic: Favorite Cartoon/Animated Series (TV/feature films and other stuff)  (Read 169526 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
I actually enjoy watching animation from theatrical shorts from the early/mid 20th century to some current prime time animated sitcoms.

Looney Tunes (ie Bugs & Daffy)
Disney (ie Mickey & Donald)
Droopy (most Tex Avery cartoon from MGM)
Chilly Willy
Woody Woodpecker (1940's & 1950's)
"South Park"
"Ren  Stimpy"
"Rocko's Modern Life"
"Duckman"
"The Simpsons" (early/mid 1990's)
"Family Guy" (early seasons)
"Liquid Television"
"Beavis & Butt-Head"
Peanuts (Charlie Brown & Snoopy)

About censorship of vintage animation:

Censored Warner Bros. Cartoons - TV Guide Article

Have to agree with the comment from the late great Chuck Jones since there were, still are, images that are more violent than Looney Tunes. Heck, they weren't even originally aimed towards children since they were for adults. Especially since they were played between newsreels & movies like "Gone With The Wind" & "Casablanca" in the early/mid 20th century.

Not sure about the 1970's, though I think that's when WWII cartoons and other "UN PC" started to get banned since the later 1960's...

Good thing they're uncut on DVD  8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:21:12 AM by Woops »

Offline PaSquall

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Cartoon/Animated Series
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »
Not a big fan of anime/cartoon (even in my childhood, even though I watched some of them  like every other kid - I especially remember the Wacky Races cartoons), but :
- I still enjoy watching looney tunes once in a while (I'm a fan of Daffy duck !)
- Other than this, I enjoy the DARIA series very much (love the witty/sarcastic/ironic/flegmatic attitude). I hope we'll get the series on DVD one day or another, so many series have been made and I don't understand why MTV still hasn't done it for Daria.
- I like the Kimagure Orange Road series too (but never watched them as a whole, I'll have to do it in the future)
- And I like a few manga like Ghost in the shell.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »
Academy Award Animation Collection, mostly Warner Bros. & MGM, will be released on February 12th. A 3 DVD set featuring winners, nominationss, and extras including "What's Cooking Doc?" cartoon (Bugs at Oscars ceremonies) for animation fans/buffs and a one disc featuring 15 winners for the casual fans.

As long the Tom & Jerry  shorts are uncut.

Fun fact: Though the debut Bugs Bunny cartoon "A Wild Hare" was nominated, the only Bugs cartoon that ever won was 1958's "Knighty Knight Bugs".

The second Woody Woodpecker & friends set, featuring 75 more rare Walter Lantz cartunes, will be released April 15th.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:04:49 PM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:22:16 AM »
The Oscar winning/nomination DVD set was good. The documentry was informative and who knew Tom & Jerry  have won 7 awards, which is more than other characters. Agree that Bob Clampett should've been recognized. Suprised that there were clips of Disney cartoons, which must've been a lot  of dough for having a 5 second clip included.

Contents: Mostly Warner Bros. & MGM cartoons and two from Flieschers studios ("Popeye Meets Sinbad", "Superman"). About a dozen are Tom & Jerry, which is worth it since the Tom & Jerry box sets contain edited/dubbed cartoons. Some of the best (and personal favorites) are included like "Yankee Doodle Mouse", "Night Before Christmas", and "Cat Concerto" (similar to "Rhapsody Rabbit").

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »
Bugs Bunny
Ren & Stimpy
Beavis and Butthead

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
Top 10 Oscar Winning Cartoons that I've seen:

The first cartoon that won for animated short is "Flowers & Trees" in 1932, though I actually found the cartoon boring despite being the first to be done in full technicolor.  And Disney swept the awards until 1940 when "The Milky Way" from MGM won, though was mediocre. Not to mention the debut cartoons from Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry were also nominated.

Keep in mind, they were originally intended for adults and aired in theatres inbetween newsreel and feature films like "Casablanca" & "Gone With The Wnd".

The most cartoon series that won is Tom & Jerry (MGM, directed by Will Hanna & Joe Barbera) with 7 Oscars.

"For Scenti-metal Reasons" (Pepe Le Pew) and "The Two Mouseketeers" (Tom & Jerry) are also good cartoons though most Pepe cartoons are too repetative and it's not one of my favorite shorts. Same could be said for Tom & Jerry, though several cartoons have stood out, which a few are among the Academy Award winners.

10."The Cat Concerto"

Jerry interrupts Tom during his piano recital, which is similar to "Rhapsody Rabbit" featuring Bugs Bunny and also was nominated for an Oscar. Both featured the characters playing Lizt's "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2". 1946 winner.

9. "Speedy Gonzales"

A cartoon featuring Speedy vs. Slyvester, which the cat gaurds a cheese factory, which Speedy has to get cheese for his friends. 1955 winner.

8. "The Little Orphan"

One of the earliest appearance of Nibbles (or Tuffy, which later named), who's a baby mouse who's always hungry. The mice are against Tom on the dinner table during Thanksgiving. 1948 winner

7. "Tortoise and the Hare"

A "Silly Symphony" about the classic fable Many Warner Bros. animators and directors have stated that Max Hare is part of the influences of Bugs Bunny, which appeared in several 'Tortoise vs. Hare' cartoons himself. Though Max is more arrogant (ie 50's Daffy) and not much of a smart alec. 1934 winner.

6. "Knighty Knight Bugs"

A good cartoon, though not really the best of the Bugs Bunny cartoons, featuring Bugs getting the singing sword from the knight (Yosemite Sam). 1958 winner

5. "Tweetie Pie"

First pairing of Slyvester & Tweety (directed by Friz Freleng). Though not the best Looney Tunes short, it's one of the better featuring the duo. Strangely, Sylvester is called "Tom".  Atleast it was before Tweet became too cloying and still had a bit of an edge from his early cartoons directed by Bon Clampett. Also the first WB cartoon to win. 1947 winner.

4. "Three Little Pigs"

One of my favorite Disney "Silly Symphony" cartoons about the classic fable. Featured the song "Who's Afriad of the Big Bad Wolf?" that was popular during the Depression. 1933 winner

3. "Quiet Please!"

Tom & Jerry cartoon, which Tom have to make sure Spike the bulldog doesn't wake up. Also one of the few cartoons Tom actually talk. 1945 winner

2. "Yankee Doodle Mouse"

Tom vs. Jerry in a basement and with WWII theme  with fire works and, Jerry riding a cheese grater like a jeep and a plane made from a box. 1943 winner

1. "Der Fuehrer's Face"

One of the greatest WWII propaganda shorts I've seen which is anti nazi. Many of the images  of the cartoon maybe taken out of content, but have be considered that it was made in WWII. It's about Donald having a nightmare that he's  forced to work at a munitions factory and had to salute the evil dictator. At first, It features the title song, which is done by  Spike Jones & The City Slickers. Also the only Donald Duck cartoon that won an Oscar for best animated short in 1942.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:43:57 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:28:30 AM »
Jay Ward cartoons:

Most people probably never heard of Jay Ward, but would recognize his creations like "Rocky & Bullwinkle", "Mr. Peabody & Sherman", "Hoppity Hooper", and the original "George of the Jungle".

Don't think I've seen the original "George of the Jungle", but the new cartoon's kinda dumb and the movie is horrific.

Recently bought some DVDs and actually enjoyed watching the cartoons. :D

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:33:06 AM »
"Phineas & Ferb" isn't that bad of a cartoon, though not good either. Better than some of the recent junk and the 5th season of "Family Guy".

There's some pop culture referances that might over the heads of the main demographic like Evander Holyfield's ear,  "Soul Train" and  '80's Madonna. One of the guys from a '60's type band that appeared in one episode is drawn like Alexander from "Josie & The Pussycats".

Though I can't stand Ashley Tisdale's "singing", her voice over is quite good.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
Recently watched some of the original "George of the Jungle" cartoon and it's actually better than I thought.  Also "Super Chicken" & "Tom Slick" segments.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:21:30 PM »
"Rocko's Modern Life" was funny.  Too bad is was short lived.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Guess Who?, second volume of Woody Woodpecker DVD set.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 04:28:34 AM »
Woody Woodpecher Vol. 2 is just as good, though the character became "nicer" compared to Woody of the 1940's. Also smaller, which Walter Lantz stated that he wants the audience to root for Woody against the big bully. Ironically, most of Woody's antagonists were taller than the main character itself.

I vaugely remember seeing Lantz cartoons as a kid, though liked Chilly Willy.

I recall the one with a robot plucking Woody's feathers, which coincidently appears on "The Woody Woodpecker Show" on the third disc. I've watched several cartoons and some of the bonus features like "Behind The Scenes" footage of Walter Lantz explaining viewers (like Walt Disney did on his show, though for younger viewers) and two tv pilots. "Space Mouse" was OK, though the one with "Sam & Simian" was boring...

Some of the best "new" Woody cartoons seen:

"Hot Noon"... a western cartoon which Woody becomes a sheriff and takes on bandit Buzz Buzzard.

"Bunco Busters"... 'If Woody had gone to the police, this would never have happened". Woody gets punk'd by Buzz Buzzard which Woody wins money and Buzz tries to steal it.

"Get Lost"... While Woody reads a story of "Hansel & Gretal" to Splinter & Knothead, his nephew & niece, they leave his house to wander to the woods until they meet a cat. The cat builds a Gingerbread house and tries to lure them in like the characters of the story Woody's reading.

Chilly Willy:

"Half Baked Alaska"... Chilly goes on a pancake binge at Smedley's pancake house.

Oswald Rabbit:

"Puppet Show", blend of animation and puppets. Not much on Oswald, but a puppet becomes real and meets a bunch of toys that start ridiculing him.

Swing Symphonies:

"Hams That Couldn't Be Cured", a Three Pigs parody with the trio torturing the wolf with swing music. Not as great compared to "Three Little Bops", a 50's Looney Tunes, but still a good cartoon.

All the cartoons were remastered and uncut, like how they're indended to be.

I'd reccomend it to fans of vintage animation, those who grew up fondly on the cartoons, and anybody that's into good cartoons.

The Best Buy DVDs includes an animation cel of "Wet Blanket Policy", one of the best 40's Woody Woodpecker cartoons and featured "The Woody Woodpecker Song", which marks the only time a song from a cartoon short to win an Academy Award.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Obscure Characters...well good thing for the internet
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 07:53:15 AM »
Recently watched two Little Lulu  (cartoon, not '60's pop singer) DVDs featuring the mid 1990's incarnation of the classic character that aired on HBO (yes, they aired 'G' rated family shows). Unlike the mid 1940's theatrical cartoons, which some are in the public domain, they're true to the comic books from the 1940's/1950's that were written by John Stanely (which I find a bit odd since the stories are  taken from a female perspective  like 'girls vs. boys'/feminism.  Even for the early/mid 20th century. BTW,  I know Lulu was created by Marge Buell).

In the 1990's, I've only seen several '40's cartoons from Famous Studios on public domain tapes like "Loose In A Caboose"  or "Bargain Countrt Attack" where the character was a bland and didn't have much of a personality. Also was more of a little kid stereotype.

The cartoons featured three shorts, a "Lulu Bite", similar to the "Quickies" on "Garfield & Friends" which were one minute cartoon shorts, and a stand up routine (ie "Seinfeld"). Also several of the episodes, first season I assume, were voiced by Tracey Ullman. The '40's incarnation was voiced by Mae Questal, who also voiced Betty Boop and Olive Oil.

"The Little Lulu Show", mid 1990's (1995/1996)

"Green Girl" is a good episode, Lulu becomes green after putting ink into the bath and her mother takes her to the hospital and basically freaked people out. Different than the typical "Girls vs. Boys" showdowns. Though many are memorable like the lemonade selling and when the boys built a rocket and tricked Lulu & Annie into believing that they went to Mars.

They're good and the theme song is very catchy.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:25:33 PM »
Are you into any of the Japanese anime?

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:06:06 AM »
no

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 11:05:39 PM »
I just don't understand that stuff like "Pokemon" and those others like it.  Maybe if I was eight I would but I just don't get it.