Author Topic: Favorite Cartoon/Animated Series (TV/feature films and other stuff)  (Read 160357 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Re: Favorite Cartoon/Animated Series
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 01:19:25 AM »
The 6th volume of the Looney Tunes set comes with a pocket sized version of animation historian Jerry Beck's book  "Looney Tunes: The Ultimate Visual Guide" at Best Buy.

Probably worth getting since I don't have the book, though probably has the same general details seen in animation sites.

The book's good, which features illustration and facts of known characters, gags (ie  ACME products), and a few  vintage sketches/images.

There's  a map of his rabbit hole on the chapter of Bugs Bunny, which shows a tv with a caption stating that he watches Cartoon Network & Boomerang. Though the book was first published in 2003, Looney Tunes nolonger air on those networks. Bugs probably wonder why he's been replaced with "Total Drama Island"  & "Squidbillies" and destroy the set.

Boomerang is a good network that airs mostly vintage Hanna Barbera, MGM, and a few other  like "Voltron" & "Popeye" cartoons from the 20th century.

For some reason Looney Tunes aren't on, but they could still throw in some of the compilation films like "Quackbusters" or "Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie". Since "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" have aired a few times on Cartoon Network, it wouldn't be out of place there.

About the DVD, I just watched  about three cartoons from each disc like "Punch Trunk", with the tiny elephant, and "My Favorite Duck", which is an early '40's Porky vs. Daffy cartoon with Daffy bothering Porky's camping trip.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »

New episode of "The Mighty B!" that's part of Nickelodeon's "Shocktober"...

OK, nothing scary or that would fit Halloween, though guessing that Bessie's middle name being a  curse (not a swear word, but something that would bring bad luck). And also another episode (there's two 11 minute shorts per show) about taffy being made by artificial honey. While it's good, it's hardly has anything to do with Halloween. As for the middle name episode, the effect of the curse happens for a few minutes towards the end while most invloves  snobby Portia trying to figure out Bessie's middle name.

Actually a few of the early episodes could've easily fit the "horror" theme like the camping episode...

Yeah, when I was a kid there were actual Halloween episodes... and it wasn't that long ago since it was the era of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and "Goosebump" books. Also remember a Halloween special of "Garfield" and the classic "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
I recently got  "Mickey Mouse Club Presents: Annette" & the fourth volume of the Donald Duck set.

As for "Annette" (live action, I know), the serial is pretty much typical '50's fare and pretty much enjoyable for the camp value. It was shown in "The Mickey Mouse Club" and starred Annette Funicello. It's about a girl from Nebraska who moves into the suburbs. Better than the majority of the current programming on the mouse network.

Ironically, Annette Funicello would be considered as the first Disney teen idol and one of the earliest pop princesses (Yes, she even had a singing career). Though unfortunately I doubt most (or any) of the current Disney acts are familiar with her...

Also features a short documentry (about 15 minutes) with interviews from Annette's family & friends, a vintage interview with the actress, and a brief retrospectof her career in the 1950's/1960's and her battle with MS. 

I've seen the '50's "MMC" on Disney several times on Disney Channel in the past, which varies though I mostly enjoyed the cartoons that aired time to time. Another serial I recall is "Spin & Marty", about a dude ranch. As for the '90's incarnation, don't remember much and don't t think I actually watched much of it...  Though it did spawn a few future stars like Ryan Gosling, Kerri Russell, and a few others that most people are familair with...

The "Chronological Donald Vol. 4"  was also enjoyable and also features 10 cartoons from "Mouse Works" (later "House Of Mouse"), which featured new cartoon shorts from Mickey, Donald, & Goofy in the bonus features. 

Some of my favorites: "Lucky Number" (when Donald's nephews try to get Donald his prize: a new car),  "Donald's Diary" (A glimpse of what if Donald marries Daisy), "Out Of Scale" (Chip n' Dale in Donald's minature railroad station), and "No Hunting" (Donald tries to hunt deer... note quick cameo of a certain Disney deer).

From "Mouse Works", one of my favorites appeared, which features Donald trying to get a picture of the Aracuan bird at the zoo.  "House Of Mouse" aired on Disney Channel several years ago, though only appears time to time on Toon Disney.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 01:34:23 AM »
November 18th is  the 80th anniversary of the cartoon "Steamboat Willie", which was the earliest sychronized cartoons and also starred a mouse named Mickey, though appeared in "Plane Crazy" several months earlier. :D

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
"Nicktoons Weekend" Thanksgiving  weekend marathons

"Mighty B!", three new episodes aired...

"Toot Toot"... not as bas as it sounds. Bessie gets expelled from the Honeybee scouts after she passes gas and the other scouts handling the meetings with her absence. Suprisingly a good episode and didn't over use the gross out humor...

"To Bee Or Not To Bee"... Bessie meets the Honeybee founder Miriam Breedlove. It's OK though the episode is shown slightly out of order since Miriam appeared in a previous episode with the Taffy factory using artificial honey.

The Thanksgiving episode... probably the best. Strangely, there's a horse that resembles a character from "Ren & Stimpy". It featured the scouts visiting a colonial village and the snobby character Portia getting accused of witch crat after bringing a hair dryer.

"Penguins of Madasgascar" preview... would've been better if they're theatrical shorts. It was OK, though didn't the lemur stay in Africa? (Yes, I saw the sequel... It was so & so and pretty much prefer the first film)

Other cartoons... nah! Though they didn't air any older Nicktoons since the network's probably afraid that the new generation would favor them instead of a certain sea sponge.  ::)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
Animation of 2008:

Well, I didn't expect to like "The Mighty B!", but it suprisingly gotten better in the fist season and the background art is quite good.

Films: "Wall E"

"Madasgascar II", honestly like the first film better and felt more like a direct to DVD release.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »
Isn't Disney pulling the plug on Toon Disney?

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 02:47:19 AM »
It'll become "Disney XD" next year, though Toon Disney has already gone downhill since it nolonger airs any older Disney animation besides a few movies like "Dumbo" & "Alice In Wonderland"  and tv shows that are less than a  decade old like  "Kim Possible". Not to mention "Power Rangers" and  "Suite Life of Zac & Cody", which aren't even cartoons.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »
Disney XD?

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:52 AM »
Disney XD

Jetix is a block that takes up most of the channel with action cartoons and shows. Many Disney animation fans have stated that it led to the downfall of Toon Disney a few years ago.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 03:24:13 AM »
Sounds like a kiddie version of "Spike TV".

found an article with more detail.

Though I liked Disney when it aimed towards the whole family rather than a certain gender and wouldn't be suprised if this was done for ratings & money.

As long they don't turn Mickey & Donald into cheesy futuristic super heroes like Warner Bros. did to Bugs & Daffy a few years ago with "Loonatics: Unleashed".

Will it be a success... not sure how many regular cable servies carry Toon Disney, but wouldn't be suprised if "Aaron Stone" is to be heavly marketed like "Hannah Montana"  ::)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:31:28 AM by Woops »

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »
This is going to be one of those "Back when I was young..." moments but when I was Disney annimation was Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Winnie the Pooh.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »
Animated holiday specials:

"Charlie Brown Christmas"

"How The Grinch Stole Christmas"

"Olive The Other Reindeer"

"Mickey's Christmas Carol"... the best adaptation of the story, IMHO (Oirginally aired in theatres)

"Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer"... honestly, it's the best from Rankin Bass and the only worth watching

"Bugs Bunny: Looney Christmas Tales"... Two Christmas themed shorts and a Coyote/Road Runner chase through the snow from the 1970's.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 04:39:42 AM »
There's going to be a Looney Tunes marathon on Cartoon Network on New Years Day!  8) ;D

A new generation will be introduced since they haven't been shown on tv for a while and only available in DVDs (ie "Golden Collection" , "Spotlight" collections)

Only if uncensored and/or "politically incorrect" cartoons were to air on the 'Adult Swim' hours Though doubt it. Even if they air an introduction from film historians  Leonard Malton or Jerry Beck.

VH1 Classic wil air an A to z featuring 2009 videos... Well, I can skip A to C (though might air  the rare Beastie Boys  video "She's On It")

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »
I actually watched some parts of the marathon, which I saw "Great Piggy Bank Robbery" (aka Duck Twacy), "Speedy Gonzales", "Rhapsody Rabbit", a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon, and the first Road Runner cartoon. (which I remember).

Haven't heard anything from the Toon Zone forum about any plans of Looney Tunes being shown in their regular shedule, though doubt it since most of the programming on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim are unwatchable. Maybe Boomerang.