Author Topic: Top 40 Worst '80's Music Videos  (Read 23970 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Re: Top 40 Worst '80's Music Videos
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
Huey Lewis and the News "Hip to be Square" (1986)

I wonder if the video influenced "The Blair Witch Project"  ::)

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 12:38:19 AM »
Sometimes you get a bad song and a bad video at the same time but the funny thing is that I thought the song in that case wasn't bad.  If it had been up to me I would have done the video differently.  The album "Fore" was really big then.  Of course being a part of the "Back to The Future" soundtrack didn't hurt any.  Sometimes I think videos were very hastily thought out and made.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 02:51:51 PM »
There's some good videos from songs that are either average or mediocre such as "Sledgehammer" from Peter Gabriel or even "Thriller" from Michael Jackson since honestly there's better songs from the album.

There's many good songs/favorites that had average or mediocre videos, which there's many I've  mentioned such as "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" from Wang Chung, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" from Wham, "Hold Me Now" from Thompson Twins, etc.

Since music videos were popular and became the norm to promote the song/artist with MTV, there's many clips that were low budget/simple and some artists that made it into an artform from Duran Duran, Michael Jackson, and Madonna and also various directors such as Russell Mulcahy and Steve Barron.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
Actually from the early '90's, but one of my favorite songs "Unbelievable" from EMF had a unmemorable video that just featured the band performing front of a club.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 04:46:18 AM »
"Batdance" Prince

I remember hearing about this on an MTV special titled "When Bad Videos Happen to Good Artists" (2001), which I didn't write down the list but remember several of the videos included.

Guns N' Roses "Estranged"
David Bowie & Mick Jagger "Dancing in the Street"
Red Hot Chili Peppers "My Friends"  ...version with band in studio, which I agree is boring
U2 "Numb" ...ironically "Discotheque" was one of the 50 choices for "25 Lame"
TLC "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg" ...their first video, remember comments about dated early '90's fashion
Cher "If I Could Turn Back Time" ...ironically VH1 focused more on Cher
Prince "Batdance"

Unfortunately the list appears to been lost over time since even the Google Group archives doesn't have it except for a few clips/artists mentioned: Guessing the same reason I didn't write them since most were then current artists. I recall seeing Madonna, mid/late 1990's era and Limp Bizkit (personally their music is cringeworthy).

Christina Aguilera "I Turn to You"
Puff Daddy "Public Enemy #1
Mariah Carey "Butterfly" ...don't remember though checked video on YouTube. It's fairly decent. Guessing that it featured horses rather than butterflies  ::)
Jewel "Hands"
Stone Temple Pilots "Sour Girl" ...weird video with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Teletubbies (not making this up)
N'Sync "I Drive Myself Crazy"
Robbie Williams "Rock DJ"
Beck "Sexx Laws" ...typical artsy stuff meh though I liked "Where It's At" as a kid

Most of the songs/videos I don't remember and several artists I didn't like and still not into. I remember VH1 playing a lot of Jewel videos and Stone Temple Pilots aired on VH1 "Rock Show", which featured hard rock, alternative, and metal videos.

Like other MTV/VH1 specials, it didn't air the full videos and mainly had celebrities making snarky comments.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:11:30 AM by Woops »