0 (0%)
Comedy Central
0 (0%)
E!
0 (0%)
other: (write in)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: TV Networks That Went Downhill  (Read 177626 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
TV Networks That Went Downhill
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »
Classic Example: MTV

Also VH1 and Disney Channel...

Honestly, E! was never a good channel, IMHO, though it became more annoying

(The 1980's: Music Television)

August 1, 1981: On 12:01 AM, MTV debuts. The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" is the first video to air on the network. Pat Benatar "You Better Run" was the second...

The original VJs: Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, and the late JJ Jackson.

March 1, 1982: The "I Want My MTV" campaign begins. MTV merchandises goes on sale later in the year.

March 31. 1983: MTV airs Michael Jackson's "Beat It" & "Billie Jean" videos after being critized of not showing videos from African American artists.

September 14, 1984: The Video Music Awards made it's debut with hosts Dan Ackroyd & Bette Midler. The Cars' "You Might Think" won video of the year.

July 13, 1985: MTV presents a 17 hour coverage of Live Aid.

May of 1986: Downtown Julie Brown becomes first new VJ in 5 years, a month later Nina Blackwood & JJ Jackson leaves the network

"120 Minutes" (1986 to ? on MTV/cancelled around 2003 on MTV2) debuts later in 1986 that  aired alternative music videos from artists, most weren't mainstream.

1987: MTV expands their programming with music related shows with "Club MTV" (1987 to 1992), "Week In Rock" (1987 to 1998), and the game show "Remote Control" (1987 to 1990) that launched the careers of Adam Sandler & Dennis Leary. Reruns of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" & "The Monkees" are also shown.

"Head Bangers Ball" (1987 to 1994 on MTV/2003 to present on MTV2) also debut, which aired heavy metal/hard rock music videos.

August 6, 1988: "Yo! MTV Raps" (1988 to 1995) debut, which the genre becomes more mainstream years to come, hosted by Ed Lover and Dr. Dre (not the rapper) and Fab 5 Freddy

1989: Fashion based show "House of Style" (1989 to mid 1990's) hosted by Cindy Crawford debuts... though wasn't as bad compared to a certain show that would air a few years later also more non music related shows will follow in the nest decade

"MTV Unplugged" (1989 to ?) debuts later that year, which feature bands performing acoustic versions of their hits. Inspired from a VMA performance from Bon Jovi.

(Early/Mid '90's: Media Television)

1990: Madonna's "Justify My Love" music video gets banned. Though not the first, but probably the most infamous video to be banned from MTV.

1991: MTV debuts "Liquid Television" (early '90s), which featured animated shorts and introduced Aeon Flux and the nachos munchin' duo Beavis & Butt-Head. Wasn't music related, but "Adult Swim" wasn't around and animation was still considered "kids stuff" despite the wide appeal of "The Simpsons" (Fox) and "Ren & Stimpy" (Nickelodeon).

1992: MTV debuts "The Real World" (1992 to present), which is one of the first "reality" shows... Unfortunately this drek is still on the air, which "reality" tv became popular in the 2000's and the network hardly ever airs music videos.

1993: "Beavis & Butt-Head" (1993 to 1997), created by Mike Judge, gets their own show and also were also music videos answer to "MST3K".

Some time in the mid 1990's: MTV airing less and less videos...

...jump a couple years since there's nothing worth mentioning...

(1997 to present: Moronic Television)

1997: "Daria" (1997 to 2000) debuts, which is a spinoff of "Beavis & Butt-Head".

1998: "TRL" (1998 to present) debuts with dull host Carson Daly, which only air a minute of a music video with yelling teenyboppers interrupting the clip. MTV hardly airs any videos in their entirity.

I also started watching more VH1, which will later go downhill in a few years.

Sock puppet duo "Sifl & Olly" (1998/2000) debut and the third season was never shown  >:( ...though could've been better on Comedy Central. Music videos aired during the dusk, the last time I checked they aired "Punk'd" about three years ago. Music videos are now rarely shown in the network...

2000: A vast cesspool of reality shows, spoiled rich teenagers,  and idiots doing dumb stunts...

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
Re: TV Networks That Went Downhill
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »
MTV and Vh1 most definately.  Disney has jumped.  I'm not sure that MTV2 was ever any good in the first place.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »
I used to watch vintage Donald & Mickey cartoons on Disney Channel. Though it was a pay channel until around 1997 and started to aim more towards tweens in a few years and became a factory of manufactured pop acts.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
from Jump The Shark

Typical MTV programming, assuming later 1980's from the mentioning of "Club MTV", "Headbangers' Ball", and "Yo! MTV Raps" (not mentioned by title, but by the description)

As A guy who discovered MTV in the summer of '82 (first video that I ever saw on was "Hold Me" from Fleetwood Mac), I am truly disgusted with what has become of this channel. MTV used to be all about MUSIC....I believe that the best era was probably about 1987-1990. During that time it was a complete mixture of Top 40, rock, hair metal, and rap. All formats got equal airtime..the programming was great. For those of you out there that think that MTV should be Eminem talking tough (I always find that funny because he appears on covers of teeny girl magazines, just like Leif Garrett and Andy Gibb did in the late 70's....) or 50 cent "Keeping It Real" (Why do we even care about a thug who probably cannot find middle C on a piano...) this is what it was like and it was GREAT...

1. The morning hours (6-12) were basically used to show a top 40 mix of videos, with news from Kurt Loder thrown in and VJ's talking about the music (Note...the VJ's knew what they were talking about...and videos were shown....no "Who wants to date my uncle " or whatever that crap is...)

2. The noon hour was basically used to show the game show "Remote Control" or a replay of "The week In Rock" (Note..."Remote Control" was a great game show that was centered around music oriented questions...there were no thugs on there either...)

3. The early afternoon was basically back to a good video top 40 mix (Note...no shows were shown showing the inside of thugs homes...)

4. The 3-4 hour was great..you usually got thirty minutes of straight rock videos followed by thirty minutes of rap videos.

5. Club MTV usually aired from 4-5. That was a dance oriented show..kind of like "Solid Gold"...

6. Dial MTV ran during the 5-6 hour. The most requested videos of the day were shown during this time.

7. The remainder of the broadcasting day pretty much consisted of videos and music oriented special programming

8. The weekends were GREAT.. A musical group or performer were featured thru the weekend, usually showing a video from them at the top and bottom of the hour. Saturday nights were great with rap and metal getting equal airtime..Alternative music was shown on late Sunday Nights.

Now THAT was MTV. I know that some of this is very confusing to some people, but that was how it was. I know that some of you are having a hard time understanding that at one time MTV catered to music and not no-talent celebrities or thugs...but that was how it was. I hope that the devil is kepping rooms ready for Eminem, Carson Daily, the program director of MTV during 1997, Hanson, Fred Durst, & Britney Spears....they deserve it....

Mike  Sep 12, 2007 11:18 AM

In 1997, I only recall about a few hours of videos and mostly "The Real World", "Road Rules", and "House Of Style".

Sometimes classic videos would air time to time like "MTV 500" or a block of '80's videos (or any theme like animated videos, "Latest & Greatest",  or videos from a, artist like Madonna or U2).

VH1 was better.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59:49 PM »
MTV is so bad now that they sould just put it out of its misery and fold the network.

Offline originaldonald

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:56:28 AM »
MTV is so bad now that they sould just put it out of its misery and fold the network.

Won't happen. Like ESPN, CNN, The Weather Channel, and Nickelodeon, eMpTyVee will be on the basic tier until the 12th of Never.

The Original GGRDonald
I WANT MY ROLLER DERBY!!!!! ;D

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »
Watched that new Moronic TV show "Friday Night MTV", (the first two words are abbreviated, but I'm not writing it)   that's hosted by wannabe rocker Pete Wentz and features new videos shown in their entirity (when was the last time they aired a music video  ::) ).

1. Mostly emo, pop, and rap videos, ugh!

2. Pete Wentz, who's in the emo band Fallout Boy and married to pop "singer"  Ashlee Simpson  is overrated

3. Even with an hour of videos in a decent time (well, VH1...another once great network... airs 'em in the dusk), Moronic TV is still a vast cesspool

I actually like the story book introduction to The Ting Tings and their video for "Shut Up & Let Me Go" is great  with it's zooming effects and Kung Fu style fighting.  8)

Though that's the only thing good about it.

Also today's generation doesn't really look at music videos as an artform and  they're more into getting music from YouTube/ downloads. Then again, who knows...

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
I can't help but wonder if Pete Wentz would be a known name if he wasn't with Ashlee Simpson?  I wouldn't be surprised if she takes on a highly emo image and style on her next album.  Those two deserve each other.  ::)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »
VH1 Classics appear to have movies & old VH1 specials... well, music related and they still air vintage videos

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42:03 PM »
It probably won't be long until Vh1 Classic becomes a carbon copy of Vh1.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Good time to tape music videos...

Also wouldn't be suprised since the videos appear to air during the night and early morning for about 8 to 10 hours.

I've seen some good videos, which many I've never seen like OMD "If You Leave" and The Cars "Hello Again". Though the only setback is that weather and/or other annoyances ruins the satellite reception.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »
Youtube is where you go for music videos now.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:34 AM »
Toon Disney

1. Like the mouse network, they neglect vintage Disney animation and mostly airs new animation and Disney Channel cartoons from the past decade

2. live action films from the past 12 years and Power Rangers (yes, the show is still around, though in different incarnations)

Heck, even the older Power Rangers have been neglected.

I liked it as a kid, but seen it on ABC Family (back when they aired old Fox Kids shows some years ago) and I found it extremely corny.

Atleast it's not as bad as most of the stuff on Disney Channel and they don't have singing careers nor overexposure (ie marketing) as the original "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" series....

3.   Suprised that there isn't a Vault Disney Channel...

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:06:20 AM »
Fuse, too much focus on rap and emo. Plus, they air movies.

Also there was a special about music videos that focused on Guns N' Roses that features the narrator trashing Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, and stated that 1987 had too many disposable pop and one hit wonders. Not to mention he used a vulgar word (not a slur) to describe the other hard rock bands of the era.

I don't have anything against Guns N' Roses since I like sone of thier hit songs, but the comments reminds me of some stuff that I've seen on other boards and other than being one sided, it's very immature.

sweetsangria

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
The Much Music Video station in Toronto sucks big time. When Sara Bareilles
appeared on a show in July a stuck up VJ looked at her and said

"Honey. You are not as talented as Fiona Apple"

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:42:07 AM by sweetsangria »