0 (0%)
Comedy Central
0 (0%)
E!
0 (0%)
other: (write in)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: TV Networks That Went Downhill  (Read 158719 times)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
Re: TV Networks That Went Downhill
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 02:24:34 AM »
Several of the 'Throwback' videos were from the this decade. Though atleast none were rap or trashy pop, but none I considered memorable or even popular

Began taping since the third day and it airs 4 days a week...

The block now has "jumped" since  most the 'throwback' videos (again) were from the decade with a few vintage videos like MJ "Beat It" & Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under The Bridge". I know that it's on a "hip" channel, though they shouldn't call them "throwback" videos. 2000 maybe, but not something from 2007.

Then again, I wouldn't mind if it's anything from Natasha Bedingfield or "Stacy's Mom" from Fountains of Wayne.

Haven't seen yet:

I know it's a bit early, though probably not by the network's standards...  ::)

Janet Jackson (well, unfortunately she's now taken as a joke since the Super Bowl fiasco. Though MJ appeared)
Beastie Boys
INXS
Guns N' Roses
Van Halen
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard (technically any hair metal, but I've seen a few in vintage video hours and countdowns in the past)
AC/DC
Paula Abdul
DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince/Will Smith
Coolio
Mariah Carey (the new video of her duet with The Dream is on regular rotation, but would be good if they did something like VH1 Classic's Classic/Current if they put "Honey" or "Fantasy" before it)

Suprised to have seen:

Duran Duran
Peter Gabriel
Blondie
Billy Idol
George Michael
Wham! (stated on a VH1 messageboard)
Bobby Brown
Led Zeppelin (now that's really old school  8))
Soul II Soul
Deee-Lite
Prince (read on setlist that I found... posted a few days ago)
Vanilla Ice (probably as a gag since it aired on April Fools, though was ranked as one of the 'Top 10' on "25 Lame" that supposedly got banned  ::) )

technically anything before 1995 that isn't rap  or alternative (though some bands like Franz Fernidand & Ting Tings take influence on  new wave like Blondie and Duran Duran)

Don't think they'll air, though if they do, probably once or when actual Disney programs return to the mouse network:

"Debbie" Gibson (from all the video retrospects, except for a certain special, in the later part of the '90's, only saw a "Club MTV" performance thrown in around 1997)

Taylor Dayne (never seen her on any retrospect video special. Good thing not on the infamous "25 Lame")

can't really think of any though probably whatever they consider "uncool" by today's standards or not worthy (artists that are considered 'jokes', which unfortunately some are actually good)

rarely seen/obscure music videos since they appear to play older videos that were widely popular
certain favorite hair metal videos

Also suprising is that Madonna appears to be the only pre-1999 female pop singer to be played. (well, not really since they probably want to make it look like she's the only female pop singer before Britney & Xtina)

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 05:45:26 AM »
The third strike...  and out

Ironically, I didn't see anything before 1995... though didn't tape the third hour (It's 6 hours on Mon to Wed and 3 on Thursday)

wiki

In the future, MTV plans to resurrect its Unplugged series by airing individual acoustic performances during prime time hours, then placing the full episode on MTV.com and also playing many of the performances during AMTV over the next few days.[1] MTV has also referred to AMTV as a "laboratory for advertising partnerships," meaning that an individual company could be the sole sponsor of the program on specific mornings, inserting its brand into the program in ways other than traditional TV commercials.[1]

Haven't they tried and also there's many "Unplugged" based shows and also online.

Ironically I haven't noticed much "Unplugged" performances and mostly a few VMA performances and from 2009 Spring Break.

Also guessing the block will be replaced by infomercials...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:51:24 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »
Watched about two hours...

Mariah Carey "Emotions" from 1991 VMAs

Never seen, though wonder if the little kid dancing at the end is Nick Cannon?  ::) (something from Unplugged" would be better)

A video from Weezer aired, though instead of "Buddy Holly" it's a cheesy video from the past decade with sumo wrestlers

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 08:16:46 AM »
Two channels that never went sour, IMHO...

1. TCM

While I'm not into classic films, they still mostly air movies from the early/mid 20th century and also commercial free. Also occasional short subjects.

I actually liked  "Cartoon Alley" which showcased theatrical animation from Warner Bros. & MGM . It didn't last long. Not sure if it was complaints about the cartoons being edited or lack of viewers that led to the cancellation.

Though there was a showcase for Chuck Jones on March 24th, 2009. :)

Boomerang should bring back Looney Toons.

2. WGN

While majority of the network/cable stations only air repeats of shows that goes back to the early '90's, WGN actually airs "Bewitched", "I Dream Of Jeannie", and "Honeymooners".

WGN recently added wrestling.

"Rocky & Bullwinkle", the '60's cartoon series, is also on the channel.   8) 

Somewhat reminds me of UHF stations before they were taken over by WB &  UPN (now CW)

Honestly, I don't know what the network was like, but know it's Chicago based. Though it's mostly repeats &  movies. "Soul Train" used to air, but now been cancelled for a few years and "Best of" episodes shown for about two years until about last year. While not the best, it's slightly better compared to other basic cable channels.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »
About WGN America

According to (rumors from) Wiki: "I Love Lucy", "All In The Family", "Designing Women", "Laverne & Shirley", "The Brady Bunch", "Little House of the Prarie", "Lucy & Desi Comedy Hour" are to be shown...

They have a "Out of Sight Retro Night" on Sunday, though may expand (not much detail) or some older shows will be sprinkled with sitcoms from the past 18 years. Sorta like a mini "Nick at Nite" block.

I used to watch some '60's & '70's sitcoms as a kid, but now find many corny.

I find it interesting that "Rocky & Bullwinkle" would air since most cartoons are put at "kiddie blocks", which are basically extinct since there's many cable channels for the demographic  (though 'Bullwinkle' appealed to everybody much like Looney Tunes & "Simpsons") and also animation is a niche market for obvious reasons (ie the animation is just for kids mentality). Still great to see it on another network.

Watched parts of the marathon, which featured the "Wattssomatta U" serial that features the moose & squirrel playing football. The episode had 3 'Bullwinkle" segments, "Fractured Fairytales", and others like "Mr. Know-It-All", "Bullwinkle's Poety Corner", and the classic magic hat bit.

Though very unlikely, there should be another vintage animation channel or Boomerange is in need of a major improvement.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 02:05:22 AM »
Alternative/new wave videos (The Cure, Depeche Mode, U2) were shown on the last two hours of "Metal Mania"

Guessing it's an error since "120 Minutes" air on the same time on Sunday.

from VH1 Classic boards
Metal Mania Not Metal

I am appauled at the content of Metal Mania on VH1 Classic, it has steadily degraded its content to the point to where it is not even metal anymore. I mean come on, the show is called Metal Mania. Now, I realize Hair Metal and Glam Metal were a big part of the 80's scene, and I accept those even though I don't particularly enjoy them. I digress, the point of this is to address videos by bands such as The Cure, Violent Femmes, Waitresses, and Fishbone being shown on Metal Mania. This is seriously getting ridiculous guys, I've never heard ANYTHING on Metal Mania more metal than say the intro, despite Metallica, and Megadeth, but that's if your lucky. This seriously needs to be fixed. Either remove these things and play Metal on Metal Mania, or Metal Mania itself, because this is just sad to be honest.

-Conlan

I like Depeche Mode, but...
When did they become metal?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:06:54 AM by Woops »

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »
Those bands are far from Metal.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
"Metal Mania" has been criticized for having mostly mainstream metal, hard rock, and hair bands. Also for the same 15 videos that air every week (though a few rarely seen are shown), which could be said for everyt VH1 Classic video block.

Ironically, same could be said for the original "Headbanger's Ball", which I've read comments on the original "Jump The Shark" site (before it 'jumped' when it was bought by TV Guide) .

Also in the '90's  when alternative rock videos aired on the show and Nirvana being interviewed on the sho in 1991.

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
MTV rated Nirvanna as the greatest band of all time.  Better than The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, I don't think so.  MTV just can't kiss their ass enough.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
AMTV block still on and as of the second or third week, it had already "jumped"

Not suprising considering the network...

Offline Out of the Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
It probably jumped the first day.

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »
I know VH1 Classic have aired "Club MTV" in the past, though unfortunately didn't have the channel at the time...

An improvement  of an "80's" themed week would be VH1 Classic showing some archival footage (ie music performances, interviews,  specials,other footage) from MTV/VH1 vault or whatever Viacom own. Also has to be something that wouldn't be repeated or repeated often.

(I know they're stuff from the once great network, though I know very little about early VH1 besides that it was more 'Adult Contemporary')

"Best of" "Headbanger's Ball", with various clips and classic footage  with videos. Please, no alternative bands... which "120 Minutes" will have it's own retrospect with it clips from the original video showcase.

"Yo! MTV Raps", heck they could rebroadcast the MTV2 Top 20 Yo! moments or the VH1 documentry about the show then show an hour of old school rap videos since they don't really show much with some of the bits MTV2 aired (ie clips from the first episode, stars that  first appeared on the show, Ed Lover's dance, etc) . (VH1 Classic appears to be more about  classic rock though have airedthe documentry and VH1 Top 100 Hip Hop songs)

Wiki stated that it did air "Yo! MTV Raps" (the 20th anniversary retrospect or actual "Best of"?), though the site tend to have errors and don't know much about VH1 Classic's past besides that it actually aired videos 24/7 like a certain network from a bygone era.

"120 Minutes", original interviews, performances, and videos

"Club MTV", original episodes

"MTV Authentic Reproduction"

Series that aired in 1997 that featured vintage MTV promos and music video clips from 1981 to 1989. Heck, even Deb performing "Only In My Dreams" from "Club MTV" on the 1987 episode.  ;D

On "80 Hours of 80's", throw some rarely seen performances (ie VMAs, MTV  spring break/new years, VH1 & MTV specials) that would make the marathon worth watching since many of the videos air on "Totally 80s" on a daily basis.

Plus, they must be shown during regular hours rather than  dusk.

VH1 used to air "Best of American Bandstand" and "Solid Gold", though don't know if they could air.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:37:16 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »
Googled...

Some hints of the downfall of VH1 Classic...

source, Idolator from 2008

VH1 Classic is already slipping down my list of favorite cable channels, thanks to the same three or four specials and movies clogging its schedule on the weekends, but it looks like things are going to get worse. Helpful press release hint for you kids out there: if someone from MTV Networks uses the word “but”, whatever he said previously is either a lie and/or to be completely ignored. Today’s example comes from Tom Calderone, EVP and General Manager, VH1: “We still air the classic music videos that prove that the mullet was a questionable hair choice in the 80s. But VH1 Classic is focused on celebrating the legacies of the rock icons that continue to impact music and pop culture today.” The attempt at humor is intended to be a distraction, but rest assured, in the near future, VH1 Classic is going to show around as many videos as MTV2.

from VH1 Classic board, ironically many of the members appear to be into classic rock/metal

I liked some Metal , but just like Rap.. Metal took over VH1 Classic.. Can we have some 80's new wave, some alternative bands from the 90's too.. I feel like MTV all overagain when we had to wait for 120 mins. after midnight to hear some music that appeal to me and I am sure to many as well.. As you can tell, I am a Morrissey fan, Depeche mode, The cure, etc.. but this kind of music is always overlooked..

I've noticed that most specials are mostly about hard rock (ie "Heavy: History of Metal"),  many weekend marathons devoted to Rush, AC/DC, Kiss, and '80's metal,  "That Metal Show" hosted by Eddie Trunk, and most of the Classic in Concert specials are of rock artists and even hair bands like Poison and Motley Crue. Though I've been watching VH1 Classic for about 8 months, I noticed that the channel is more rock oriented. Maybe VH1 Classic wants to aim more towards rock or many of the viewers are hardcore fans of the genre. Agree that VH1 Classic should air (or go back to showing) more genres/variety of music.

"Totally 80's" airs a mixture of pop, rock, hard rock/hair bands, R&B, new wave, and a few old school rap and more also has more variety compared to "VH1 The Big '80's" from the mid 1990's and '80's retrospects that aired n MTV around the same time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:25:23 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2009, 04:35:23 AM »
Ironically, I wouldn't mind if they have a Madonna or Michael Jackson marathon... though in the 1990's I've gotten sick of the constant overexposure from MTV & VH1 when both aired music videos and music related programming.

Now I wouldn't mind since their videos aren't shown often. (BTW, I actually like some of the songs and music videos from both artists)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:39:05 AM by Woops »

Offline Woops

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 02:05:44 AM »
VH1 Classic schedule from March 20, 2005

March 20, 2005

Pop Show 6/6 (ET)

Classic Soul 7/7 (ET)

All Request Hour 8/8 (ET)

All Star Jams 9/9 & 10/10 (ET)

Hour one...in studio guests the O'Jays

Whitney Houston - So Emotional
Billy Joel - You're Only Human
Phil Collins - I Don't Care Anymore

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Love Struck Baby
Kansas - People of the Southwind
Don McLean - American Pie (VH1C Studio performance)
Nick Lowe - Cruel to Be Kind

Greg Kihn - Jeopardy
Janet Jackson - Miss You Much
Talking Heads - Stay Up Late

Stylistics - I'm Stone in Love With You (70s Soul Jam)
Ashford and Simpson - Count Your Blessings

Hour two...

O' Jays - Make Up - VH1 Classic In Studio Performance
Eddie Money - Think I'm in Love

O'Jays - Love Train - VH1 Classic In Studio Performance
Elvis Costello - Radio Radio
Duran Duran - Wild Boys
Kylie Minogue - The Loco-Motion

Debbie Gibson - Foolish Beat
Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam w/Full Force - I Wonder If I Take You Home

O' Jays - Just Another Lonely Night
The Pointer Sisters - Dare Me
Rick James - Give it to Me Baby

The Alternative 11/11 & 12/12 (ET)

1pm EST Club MTV #3

Wang Chung - Let's Go (special guests)

1:30pm EST Club MTV #83

The Cover Girls - Because Of You (performance)

2pm EST Club MTV #28

Run DMC - Walk This Way (special guests)

2:30pm EST Club MTV #156

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Peek-a-boo (performance)

3pm EST Club MTV #10

Deborah Gibson - Only In My Dreams (performance)  :-\

3:30pm EST Club MTV #121

Erasure - Chains Of Love (performance)

4pm EST Club MTV #359

Snap - The Power (performance)

4:30pm EST Club MTV #77

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
Gladys Knight & The Pips - Love Overboard

Deborah Gibson - Out Of The Blue
Prince - 1999

Earth Wind & Fire - Thinking Of You

5pm EST Club MTV #158

Samantha Fox - Naughty Girls (Need Love Too) (performance)

5:30pm EST Club MTV #371

Keith Sweat - Make You Sweat (performance)

6:00pm EST Club MTV #407

Whitney Houston - I'm Your Baby Tonight
Deborah Gibson - Anything Is Possible

Prince - New Power Generation
Suzanne Vega & DNA - Tom's Diner

Johnny Gill - I'll Be Your Fairweather Friend(performance)

6:30pm EST Club MTV #502

Naughty By Nature - Everything's Gonna Be Alright (performance)

Super 70?s 1AM

Rockfest 2AM

Bon Jovi ? Wanted Dead or Alive
Pearl Jam - Alive

Guns N? Roses ? Live And Let Die
Blue Oyster Cult ? Burnin? For You
Pink Floyd ? Money

Rush ? Tom Sawyer
Alllman Brothers Band ? melissa ? Live At The Beacon Theater
Neil Young With Booker T. And The MG?s ? All Along The Watchtower

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers ? Don?t Come Around Here No More
Cheap Trick ? Tonight It?s You
GTR ? The Hunter
.38 Special ? Wild Eyed Southern Boys

We Are The 80?s 3AM

Champaign ? How ?Bout Us
Journey ? Faithfully
Aretha Franklin ? Freeway of Love

U2 ? I Will Follow
R.E.M. ? Orange Crush
A Flock Of Seagulls ? I Ran
Erasure ? Lay All Your Love On Me

Prince & The Revolution ? Raspberry Beret
Go-Go?s ? Yes Or No
Beach Boys - Kokomo
Hall & Oates ? How Does It Feel To Be Back

Bruce Springsteen ? I?m On Fire
Corey Hart ? It Ain?t Enough
Weird Al Yankovic ? Eat It

All Star Jams 4AM

All Star Jams 5AM

Wham! ? Careless Whisper
Missing Persons ? Destination Unknown
Sting - Russians
Tears For Fears ? Mothers Talk

Gloria Gaynor ? I Will Survive
Mary Jane Girls ? Boys
Weather Girls ? It?s Raining Men

Eric Clapton ? Running On Faith ? Unplugged
Fabulous Thunderbirds ? Wrap It Up
Rod Stewart ? Passion

Queen ? Fat Bottom Girls
Blues Brothers ? Soul Man
Charlie Daniels - Devil Went Down To Georgia
Eddie Money ? Think I?m In Love ? ending restored

3/20 BET Grown Folks Music

Pointer Sisters - So Excited
Roger Troutman - I Wanna Be Your Man

Expose - Let Me Be The One
Hall and Oates - Can't Go For That (Version 1)

Gap Band - Early In the Morning
Paula Abdul - Straight Up

Terrence Trent Darby - Wishing Well
The Whispers - Rock Stedy

Teddy Pendergrass - Joy
Taylor - Tell It To My Heart